Chances are you haven’t given much thought to whether you should replace your roof before selling your home. While roofs are a large part of any home, they generally don’t rank all that high on the never-ending list of things that accumulate when selling. You’re more likely to consider your home’s value, the health of your local real estate market (hint: South Florida is healthy), and how to stage your home for showings. Guess what? Roofing repairs and replacements have a significant impact on your home’s value.
Here are some Aastro Roofing approved house selling tips. You can thank us after your home is in escrow!
The Benefits of Replacing Your Roof Presale
Deciding whether to replace your roof before selling your home comes down to a couple of things. Sure, there are style considerations, but you’ll really be looking at the cost vs the resale value. After all, roofing repairs and replacements can quickly add up to a significant investment. That’s exactly what they are, though, an investment. Making sure your entire home, from the roof to the foundation, is in pristine condition.
So, you should replace your roof before you sell your house if you’re in a seller’s market. This means that there is a high demand for homes, and sellers can expect to receive competitive offers – at or above the listing price – on their home.
South Florida’s market is cyclical. It’s almost always strong, but it moves between being a buyer and seller’s market regularly. Right now, we’re starting to drift into a buyer’s market. This means that you’ll need to repair your roof rather than replacing it before you sell your house.
Helpful House Selling Tips
One survey from the National Association of REALTORS® found that homeowners increased the overall value of their house by five percent after replacing shingles. This won’t be the case for everyone, but it’s just one sign that you want to pay attention to your roof when selling.
Other house selling tips include:
- Make sure your air conditioning system is in tiptop shape.
- The same goes for other large mechanical items like water heaters.
- Consider updating your kitchen. New appliances and fresh cabinets go a long way towards making your entire house look brand new.
- Pay attention to your home’s exterior. What’s the yard look like, do you need landscaping?
- Listen to your real estate agent. If they suggest putting a fresh coat of paint on the walls, for example, it’s time to get painting
- Get your house inspected ahead of time. An inspection is going to happen anyway and getting it done early will let you know if you need any major repairs
There are many, many more house selling tips, but these cover the basics. Now you know how to make your home as attractive as possible to potential buyers.
Aastro Roofing – Your Local Roofing Solution
If you decide to repair or replace your roof before selling your house, you’re going to want Aastro Roofing on your side. We’ve been making sure South Floridians homes have the highest quality roofs for over three decades. Take a look at our work and then call us at (561) 409-3280 for a free estimate!